Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Grade Level Expectations
- Write informatively about the experience of being a fifth grade student and what it takes to be successful.
- Develop the topic with facts, specific information and examples related to the topic
- Review all other parts of speech from the year – nouns, verbs, sentences, pronouns, and adjectives
- Inform current fourth graders what to expect when entering fifth grade
- Friendly letter format
- Include main ideas and supporting details
- Use transitional phrases between ideas
Examples from previous student letters to fourth graders
Why we must run with scissors (Barry Lane)
Launching the Writing Workshop, Units of Study for 3-5 (Lucy Calkins)
Writing Workshop: The Essential Guide (Fletcher and Portalupi)
Study Driven (Katie Wood Ray)
The No Nonsense Guide to Teaching Writing (Davis and Hill)